Well this is my first post and like most people who start blogs I should probably start this out with the disclaimer that I am apt to not being very faithful to regularly updating this. The truth is that I decided after reading through Mark Ostreicher's blog (he's a big name in youth ministry) that I wanted to do the same thing he does which is to just write a little about whatever God throws into life and see how I could share it with people.
Something pretty cool happened just the other day. It was on Wed, so it happened a couple days ago. I decided that I would run by Chic-Fil-A for lunch before I headed back to school for Greek. When I was walking in, I saw three dirty, old, even nasty men sitting at a table outside. They were eating and talking to each other. I had been having a pretty good day. God really seemed to be blessing me in many of the things that were happening that day. So as I walked in, I smiled at the men. One of them said "Excuse me, sir? I was just wondering LeTourneau University? Is that here in this town?" (I had my Letu sweatshirt on) I said yessir and we started talking about Letu and how there are good proffessors there.
I kept talking to the man and was, in the back of my mind, running through what money I had and what I could give them. I felt very guilty about it. I didn't know how I would try to give them money, but I felt like I somewhat had to because they were being nice talking to me. Then he said something that threw me a little off balance. "Are you studying Christian studies? Do you mind me asking? I see this glow from God on your face. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that you are studying some sort of Christian studies." I was a little shocked...a little stunned. "Uh, yessir, I'm studying youth ministry right now," I responded. He then told me how he and his friends were travelers. They were on a journey somewhere (though he didn't say where to or where from).
He ended our conversation by asking me for a word from God. Now, I come from a fairly conservative branch of the Christian tree and have never been asked for a word from God or ever received an explicitly advertised Word from God from someone else. I fumbled with my words a little trying to collect my thoughts and I truly believe that the next words were from God. I said "Uh, sure...I mean, uh, Prayer. God wants you to talk to him more because he has something to say to you. Continue in your life of Prayer." And that was it. I don't know where it came from or how to explain it.
Before I went inside, he said, "I'd like to start praying for you. That you'll graduate. Can I do that?" I said sure, as long as I could pray for him and his friends as they traveled. He gave me their nicknames and I did the same for him. He knows me as BOSS and he was Crossroads.
So today, if you think about it, lift a prayer for Crossroads, Miller, and Tugboat; three travelers on a journey to somewhere.
1 comments:
Enjoyed reading that story even after hearing it first.
reminds me of a God hunt - He can be found in some unusual places! Don't forget the cookie! Although you may not get this before you should have already gotten the cookie!